Thursday 5 January 2012

Movie Posters - a further example of persuasive images

Movie trailers and posters are a great example of how images are used to make us desire to watch the movie they are advertising.



I like the grit and edginess present in the movie poster shown above, this is a commonly used technique often used when working with these types of subjects and is something I would perhaps like to try to include elements of in my images. I can not be sure as I do not have access to behind the scenes photo's or access to talk to the photographer who shot this image but I would imagine that the main shot was taken in a studio with a low fill lighting the subject from the front and then a bringer light (+1 stop from the key exposure) was flashed on the subject from both sides positioned slightly behind the subject to give him the rim light which adds contrast, drama and separates his body from the background. The dirt or grit which seems to be surrounding him is most probably a filter or graphic added in photoshot and layed directly on top of the studio image.

It's interesting that they have got the actor to look down and shut his eyes, this denies the viewer a chance to connect with the super hero. This image was created to encourage the viewer to watch the movie, perhaps the connection was intentionally refused so that the viewer would have to watch the movie in order to find out who this character is. It's ad's another layer of mystery to the character. I'm not sure whether or not this is something I will want to incorporate in my images, most probably I will make my subjects make eye contact with the camera and therefore my viewer but I will bare the possibilities in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment